The 858 Skookumchuk Squadron was established on the Sunshine Coast in 1998 and has been a strong advocate for youth leadership and development ever since. Many of our former cadets have pursued careers with a connection to their Air Cadet experience and count their Cadet career as instrumental in their development into confident, successful adults.
The Sponsoring Committee to the Squadron, a group of parent and community volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds, is tasked with procuring support for the various background components of the Cadet year. We are incredibly fortunate to pay minimal costs to School District 46 for our training facility at Davis Bay Community School (many thanks to them), so all of the support that we are able to raise goes directly to funding the Cadets’ development and educational activities. These include:
- travel off Coast for intra-Squadron training and educational excursions
- costs of familiarization flying and travel to gliding exercises
- Annual Cadet Review Ceremony and dinner event where Cadets are honoured for their accomplishments over the Cadet year
- assisting any youth requiring financial assistance in covering the annual Cadet dues ($115.00 each), which covers the cost of the program basics, including a canteen each Parade night
- other incidental activities, events or items that add to the Cadets’ personal development and enjoyment of the program
The Sponsoring Committee raises funds with the Cadets through TAG days twice yearly, as well as our annual “All About Flight” day held at the Sechelt airport held each September and brand new in 2021, our Tru-Earth Laundry Strips fundraiser. Through the hard work of Cadets and parents, this amazing program is affordable to all youth and provides lifetime memories and valuable skills.
Should you be interested in learning more, please contact us at ssc858Skookumchuk@gmail.com.